Author Topic: Christine's Transition Adventures  (Read 9319 times)

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
  • I'm "Friday" Mom's Bed Bud
Re: Christine's Transition Adventures
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2020, 08:18:07 PM »
Hi Folks,                   16 September 2020

Didn't get much done with the tree today; Friday, my bed buddy needed to visit his Doctor. His inoculations were out of date, he has an allergy that causes him to scratch himself to shreds, and his anal glands needed to be expressed (a nasty job I leave for the vet).

Got all that taken care of. After we were finished I dropped him off at the Texas State Employment Commission so he could get a job to pay his medical bill. $303.65 was quite a surprise. Fortunately, he has his own Credit Card.

He spent about 45 minutes and had a job that paid him $303.66. Got his money, had the boss call me so I could pick him and his pay up and take him home. Worked out well; he had $0.01 left over to put in his piggy bank; he's saving to buy a new car.

Did stop by to water the tree. Noticed the mowers had been there; they mowed all around the tree and even used the weed whacker inside the wooden stakes up to the Tree's Trunk Guard; they did a nice job. We watered the tree and will do it a couple more times tomorrow. Need the ground soft enough to install the barrier.

Friday is feeling much better than he did before his Vet visit. He knows when he needs to see a doctor and will go out to the car and stand there waiting for me to open the door to let him in so I can take him to his Vet. He's the only Dog I have ever had that is happy to go see the vet. He knows he will feel better afterwards. I think he's more human than I am.

That's about it for today. Back again tomorrow .... weather permitting.

Best Always, Love

Friday and Christine
Worrying Never Makes It Better.
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2020, 11:37:42 AM »
Hi Folks,                 22 September 2020

Weather has been, shall I say, a bit "out of sorts" for a couple days. The rain is welcome as it has been very dry. Ella, the Post Oak, is looking much better what with the cooler temps, rain and supplemental H2O. She has struggled to achieve what she has achieved over the past 4+ years; have no way of knowing how long she languished under the rubble pile before being freed.

Looking at her growth this year shows she has developed a good root structure that supported a great growth this season. If everything goes well the remainder of this year, she will be in a good position to put on a couple feet of growth, possibly more, next spring and summer; hope I am in Phoenix long before then.

We will come back to visit her occasionally. I hope to see her reach 20 feet in height in another 6 years. She could make it to 100 feet in height and have a trunk 4.5 feet in diameter if all goes well. I won't be around to see her then, but hopefully watching over her from above.

Take Care Folks.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2020, 01:34:56 AM »
Hi Folks,                   28 September 2020

Just maybe Ella the Post Oak will have her barrier erected later today. The panels are done and ready to be installed. The east and west facing panels have reflective tape on them so they will show up at night and during the day.

As soon as it's finished, photos will be taken and displayed here.

Temperature here has dropped to 67; fall is here and winter is on the way. My guess is it is going to be a cold one. Hope you all have warm clothing. Guess I better get my thermals out. One thing I have is fleece lined jeans. They are quite comfortable on cold and windy days. Won't leave the house without them in the fall and winter.

Hopefully the barrier will be up and functional today.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
Hi Folks,                 02 October 2020

Yesterday being the first of the month, the pups had their monthly heart worm preventative, an absolute must these days. Heartworms, a mosquito borne parasite, are everywhere there are mosquitos. Do your pooch a favor, have her or him tested and put on the preventative. A whole lot better for the pooch than them developing a heartworm infestation and having to undergo the treatment. The preventive is relatively inexpensive compared to the treatment. Without testing and preventative medication for your pooch, by the time you notice symptoms, it will probably be too late to treat them. I speak from whence I came; it was not pleasant to watch, especially knowing the ultimate outcome.

When I adopted Ella, she was already infested with heartworms. Her treatment took 6 months and $8,000.00. The preventative is about $150.00 per year. The treatment is tough on the pooch, some do not survive it. Our pups provide us with unconditional love and affection. Please take care of them.

Ella the Tree

Long story short, I decided to do a test install of the new tree barrier in the back yard. This required me to create 8 holes in the ground. I bought an auger that was for planting bulbs (Tulips come to mind). I managed to drill one and a half holes and the auger was history. It was made for use in a garden with nice soil. My yard is composed of rocks, clay and other minerals.

Back to the drawing board, bit of redesign and modification. I think I have the solution and should know in a couple of days. Ella the Post Oak is safe and is being cared for.

Her first couple of years were rather tough; all things considered, she is actually doing very well with the additional hydration and nutrition that has been supplied.

Next year she should add 2 - 3 feet in height and her trunk should increase its diameter by about 1/2 inch. Of course this will be affected by the weather and the care she receives during the ensuing years. Our plan is to be home in Phoenix soon so we will have to find someone here to look after her once we leave. We will return for visits on a regular basis. How often? Depends on if this country remains a Free Country or  becomes a Communist/Marxist Country.

Best Always, Love

Christine

Below is a photo of Ella our pooch.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:51:00 PM by Christine »
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2020, 01:52:12 AM »
Hi Folks,                     09 November 2020

Sold the Daytona, prepping for the move back home to Phoenix. Took awhile to find the right buyer. We wanted someone who would take care of her and not flip her. We found the right person.

Hope to be in AZ by end of week one of December. This moving thing is a big deal; lots of stuff to box up and load on a truck. Also have cars to ship and three kids to get ready for the trip. We'll make it. Had it with Texas, been here 42 years, that's more than enough. If you like places where the weather changes on no notice, this is your ideal place.

Take care folks. We will be more active on the site once the move has been completed.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Margrit

« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
Hi Christine

Well, that sounds busy to me.
-good house move-

Best wishes
Margrit

If a man can make you smile,
even if you don't want to,
then you love him.

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2021, 12:43:38 AM »

@Kiera
@Margrit
@Katie ellen
Hi Folks,                      10 January 2021

Been packing for my return home to be with Dena. I cannot wait to get there and be with Her everyday. Skype is better than not being there, but nothing beats being with Her in the flesh.

Never fully realized how much stuff has been accumulated over the years. We have a large, 20 foot, container that we are loading for the move home. It's a BIG job and the more we work on it the more inclined I am to have a dumpster brought in and trash off a lot of the stuff. Right now it's packing boxes, taping, banding and then loading them into the container, then going back in and packing more.

The good news is we have a contract on the house we have been trying to buy for more than a year. The owners signed our sales contract about a week or so ago. It's in the hands of the title/escrow company and our attorney; no real-estate sales folks involved. Hopefully we will close before 2 more weeks pass by.

We had a brief and unfortunate situation occur on the site; you may have noticed it. We addressed it quickly and have it fixed, so it's no longer an issue.

Dena is working on expanding the site, which will be in addition to all the existing subjects; I think folks will enjoy what Dena is doing. Don't know when it'll be ready for prime time, but it will get here. My move home is consuming most all my time and much of Dena's; She also has a business to run in Phoenix, which has priority, so please hang in there.

I won't be very active here until I get home with Dena. It's been a long time not being with Her in person.

Take care everyone, Hoping you all had a Very Blessed Christmas and New Year and have remained healthy and safe.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2021, 01:23:59 AM »
Hi Folks,                    17 January 2021

Still packing, seems like the more I pack, the more I find to pack. Is this a never ending project? It sure seems like it. One problem is I'm on the anal side when it comes to doing most things; in this instance the boxes, must be heavy duty, which I'll explain later. All new boxes have to be assembled (yes, new boxes are not fully assembled when you buy them) meaning, the bottom end must be closed and secured before you can put stuff in them and expect it to be there when the boxes get to their final destination.

First thing I do is glue the flaps with strong wood/carpenters glue (Titebond II or III) and then tape with good quality clear heavy duty packing tape. You will need something to weigh the flaps down so they become firmly secured to each other. Once it has cured start loading; when full, secure the top in the same manner the bottom was secured. Be sure you have something covering the goods inside so glue won't end up on things you don't want it on; this goes for the bottom before loading and the top before closing. Yesterday's news paper works well as does wax paper.

The final step is strapping the boxes, going around the top and bottom. I use poly strapping with metal poly strapping seals. Why the metal seals? This stuff isn't being mailed (metal seals not permitted by the USPS) so metal seals are OK. I'm sure you have received a package with strapping and no visible seals. Yes, that is the ideal; the overlapping ends are thermally welded together. I looked around a good bit and finally found the tool to do that task, weld poly and polyester strapping. Works very well, is easy to use and saves time. It automatically tightens the straps welds the straps together and cuts the strap on the strap supply side. This is an efficient way of doing this job and produces a very fine outcome. The down side is about $3000.00 for the device vs. about $200.00 for the manual tools and seals. Since this is a "one time" project, we didn't see an overwhelming need for the high tech tool. Yes, I'd love to have it and it would speed up our packing, but not $2800.00 worth.

Ok, it's later. I use heavy duty boxes because the low priced boxes cannot stand up to heavy loads, rough handling, stacking, and a myriad of other issues. I had packed some boxes two years ago in anticipation of this move (yes it has been a long time in coming), buying the low price standard boxes sold by Home DePot. One of them has split just sitting on top of the stack, the others that have boxes stacked on them are crushing and bulging at the seams. It was a penny wise and pound foolish mistake. If I were going a short distances and no rough handling was possible, the low priced boxes may have sufficed. In our instance Heavy Duty is key to getting our belongings safely there and minimizing the risk of damaged and/or lost personal belongings and/or household goods.

We are using a portable container from a company called "Cool Box Storage" headquartered in Tucson Arizona (kind of handy as Arizona is where our stuff is headed). The container is 20' L x  8' W x 8' H, 1280 cubic feet of storage and is sitting in our driveway. We sure hope this will suffice for the stuff we have going to Phoenix. Our cars will be shipped via an enclosed car hauler. I met a couple, wife and husband that have a huge enclosed trailer with two decks (stacks the cars) and living quarters behind the cab of the Semi Truck that pulls the load. It's as fully equipped as a fine motor home. The whole rig is over 80 feet. They haul vehicles all over the country most of the year. They seem to enjoy their profession and lifestyle.

Looks like closing date is 29 January unless the Escrow company finishes their work earlier. . . . . I hope. Everything is in place, financing has been arranged, paperwork on our side is done, so it's a waiting game. The house is vacant and will need some remediation as the owner is a smoker and that's one item Dena nor I can tolerate. I know, I'll go off on a tangent here, but I cannot understand how anyone can smoke knowing what we now know about this horrible addiction. I smoked in my younger years, quit 05 March 1969, almost 52 years ago. I and all the buddies I grew up with smoked. They didn't quit and all are gone. Why'd I quit? I smelled so bad after coming home from a long business trip, where I had been driving most of the day. Once home I tried to take a nappy and couldn't because of the strong smell of stale cigarette smoke on my clothing, not to mention my breath. That was my epiphany; haven't smoked since, not even one drag. Had I not quit when I did, I know I wouldn't be here today. When I have an "Echo Cardiogram" the damage from the approximately 10 years I smoked is still evident. Contrary to what Linde says on the Refuse site, damage from smoking does not heal, just stops from getting worse.

That's it for this edition. Back to sorting and packing our stuff. Hope all of you have remained safe and healthy. Take care all.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2021, 11:57:31 PM »
Hi Folks,                     23 January 2021

Just a quick update:

Still sorting and packing. Too much stuff accumulated over that past 54 years. Some of it has been good to us and other stuff, a pain in the bum.

Closing on our new house is scheduled for this coming Friday 29 January 2021.That's when the real work begins, making the place livable. Smokers lived there so that has to be remediated first. Will let you know how that goes.

Take care all.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2021, 11:51:35 PM »
Status update:               25 January 2021

The bank transferred funds to the Escrow/Title Company today; they have all the paperwork from the current owners so it looks like the closing will happen as scheduled, Friday 29 January 2021.

Sometime Friday, we'll have the largest dog house in Phoenix. Hopefully, the pups will be able to inhabit their new digs by mid February 21. So close yet seems so far; almost surreal.

Continuing with the packing, hoping to have it well behind us by the and of this week. So far things have been moving along quite well, with an occasional bump thrown in to keep us on our toes. Just can't wait to be with Dena everyday.

Take Care, stay healthy and safe.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2021, 02:06:00 AM »
Update:                01 February 2021

Murphy must be having a great time; another glitch popped up at the last minute. Seller's papers were not complete. Title Company had to have someone go to the seller's home, which is out of state, and have them sign in the presence of a notary. They FedEx'd the doc's Saturday; hopefully they will arrive today before noon so we can complete the transfer today, then the new house (new to us) will officially be ours.  Then the fun begins.

We have to get the place cleared of the affects of the previous owner's nasty habit of smoking. We have several companies lined up to clean the HVAC system, paint the entire interior and some of the outside, and last but not least, clean the carpets, tile floors, windows and kitchen cabinets.

Then the moving of our belongings from Texas to Phoenix. Actually, the worst part is packing the stuff getting it ready for the move. Not even half way there. It's a big job and not a fun one. Don't mind the unpacking as it's almost an adventure.

Hopefully, today will get us to where we can start doing things related to making the house habitable.

Take care, Stay safe and healthy.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Kiera

• Airline Gentry . . duh! What gender am i?
    • Blogs: Second Type Forums
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2021, 03:50:36 AM »
      Always SMOKED outside or in the garage . . what was WRONG with these people? I love Arizona dad sold grandma's house before he himself CROAKED am told ya may 'ave PRIME OCEANFRONT one day as the only reason California hasn't slid into the DEEP ABYSS already is because Arizona SUCKS (sticks?), is holding it back . .

An 'ole trucker joke why or origin unknown!

(ps: Dena I STOPPED watching the new national joke called "politics", rarely view Newsmax or Fox these days, and as far as I'm concerned "discrimination" is now legal if way-more-than-half the country can be now persecuted for WHAT THEY THINK. Californica can BURN for all I care and, along with New York, both can EAT COVID and die makes no difference to Georgia we 'ave "help-wanted" everywhere!)

Am off the "waitlist" with Dr Powers am simply waiting on new Humana Choice PPO insure card to arrive to make an appointment! Am new to Medicare turning 65 this month have yet to figure out HOW I can get an "Advantage Plan" for less-than-free?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:33:44 AM by Kiera »

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2021, 11:59:03 PM »
@Kiera
Hi Folks,                    02 February 2021

Closed on our new house today, after a comedy of errors. It's finally ours so we can get the Hazmat team in to clean up the mess from smokers. Hope we can get all traces of tobacco smoke from the house. The pups have never been subjected to being around tobacco smoke. Don't think they would appreciate having to breathe that vile crap.

Still packing, lots more to do. Seems the more I do, the more there is to do. I hope I get it done this year. I will.

While I'm here in TX, Dena is getting things ready in AZ. Hopefully I'll be joining Her there before the end of the month.

Take care folks.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2021, 12:49:54 AM »
Am off the "waitlist" with Dr Powers am simply waiting on new Humana Choice PPO insure card to arrive to make an appointment! Am new to Medicare turning 65 this month have yet to figure out HOW I can get an "Advantage Plan" for less-than-free?[/font][/size]

@Kiera
Hi Kiera,                      03 February 2021

"Am new to Medicare turning 65 this month have yet to figure out HOW I can get an "Advantage Plan" for less-than-free?"

You most likely can't.

16 years ago there was an "Advantage Plan" whose company name I cannot recall, that had a plan that cost nothing and actually refunded your Medicare premium. Didn't last long, about 3 years and they were out of business; a long story.

One day about 11 years ago, I discovered an offering of a Medigap plan that offered what I considered a very good choice. It covered my Medicare deductible and paid everything Medicare didn't cover. Essentially, when I go to the doctor, I pay nothing out of pocket except my premium, which is rather high; at my youthful age and wild lifestyle, my chances of needing medical services are a reality, so the premium makes sense. I can budget for it but not unplanned catastrophes. Riding Motor Cycles, Flying, Sky Diving, Street Fighting, Mountain Climbing (K2 is next), do not make me a good risk.

I bought a Plan J, which is no longer sold, nor is Plan F. If you had/have them you are grandfathered in so I still have mine. The premium increases each year but not all that much. If I were to change plans or switch companies, I could never get it back.

Careful what you sign up for. There's a lot of hype relative to Advantage Plans (Part C) and Medigap plans, which are distinct from Part C plans. Do not fail to buy a Part D drug plan. If you fail to sign up for one, when you get down the road a bit and you need one, the penalty is severe and lasts until you croak. Also don't neglect Medicare Part "B," it has a penalty clause as well, except it is more severe. Make sure you talk to someone in the know and not just trying to sell you something.

Last but not least: Medigap plans DO NOT have drug coverage; you will need a Part D drug plan. Some Advantage plans do cover drugs. Shop carefully and research while you still have time. Remember to sign up for Medicare at least 2 months before the month in which you turn 65. Do Not Neglect this, it could get costly.

Take care young lady.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Kiera

• Airline Gentry . . duh! What gender am i?
    • Blogs: Second Type Forums
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
Why "big city" Phoenix? Lord Knows Texas has problems these days but but . .

A song thought maybe you'd appreciate: "Little man". Alan Jackson is from my hometown Newnan and, if one runs "South" on US 27/19/41 like this song says, Ga 122 (a roadsign and watertower in vdo) intersects in "Pavo Ga".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2021, 12:43:55 AM »
@Kiera
Hi Folks,                    24 May 2021

Been a long time since I have posted anything on this site. Seems things have been moving slower than I expected. I remember a statement I made back in 02 Feb 21:

"While I'm here in TX, Dena is getting things ready in AZ. Hopefully I'll be joining Her there before the end of the month. Ah yes, famous last words.

The reality is I'm still here in Tejas. Dena has accomplished a lot for us. She has the house painted inside and out, the tile floors and the carpets cleaned. Yard work done and my silly ass is still here packing stuff.

We did accomplish one major project on this end; we managed to obtain the services of an Auto Transport Company, CT Lee Transport out of Grantsburg, WI. They did a fantastic job, arrived on time for the pickup of four of our cars here and transported them to Phoenix. The driver Scott Lee helped us get the cars in position to winch them aboard the huge trailer he has.

Scott picked them up Friday 30 April 21 and delivered them to Dena's Shop Sunday morning 02 May 2021. We have 5 cars in Phoenix and one truck here in Texas, the vehicle I use as a daily driver.

I want to get home to Dena as soon as possible. The packing and the quantity of stuff here is staggering. We're reviewing several options to speed this process up. Hopefully, we'll have a workable plan in place by weeks end and be on our way the following week. There's nothing wrong with Texas, it's a great place to live. I just want to be home in Phoenix where I belong with Dena.

Hopefully, our new plan will work out and God willing, we'll be together again SOON!!!

For those escaping California, you might want to pass by Arizona on your way east. It's hot and dry; after all, it is a desert. When you do leave California for greener pastures, please leave you politics behind. We like living with few regulations. If we wanted things in AZ and TX to be like in CA, we'd already be living in CA and not trying to escape the craziness.

Take Care Folks

Best Always, Love

Christine

Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2021, 12:58:05 AM »
Why "big city" Phoenix? Lord Knows Texas has problems these days but but . .

A song thought maybe you'd appreciate: "Little man". Alan Jackson is from my hometown Newnan and, if one runs "South" on US 27/19/41 like this song says, Ga 122 (a roadsign and watertower in vdo) intersects in "Pavo Ga".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0

@Kiera
Hi Kiera,                      25 May 2021

Phoenix is big by some standards but not huge and overgrown as many other cities. I do not care for cold weather, have never been anywhere that's too hot. I've been places where the humidity was beyond belief making the heat quite uncomfortable.

Phoenix has low humidity and high temperatures during the middle of the day. I have been to Phoenix and have worked there. I love the place and hope to remain there with Dena for a long long time, at least another 25 years or so. We have lots of things we want and plan to do; kind of a big bucket list if you will.

Have an important appointment later today that may speed the move up. We sure hope so. When we know more we'll post it here.

Don't know if any of you heard or read about a 4 year old boy in Dallas that was abducted in the dark hours of the night from the bed he shared with his twin brother. The abduction was horrible but what happened shortly after the abduction was far worse: 4 year old Cash Gernon was Murdered / stabbed to death with what was described as "an edged weapon."

The abduction was caught on video, the perp was identified and arrested. He is being held on $1.5 million bond, is 18 years old and already had a criminal record. What are we raising these days? I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can murder a 4 year old child who had yet to harm a soul.

Whoever committed this crime needs to suffer the death penalty administered in such a way, the perp will experience the same pain that he inflicted on 4 Year Old Cash Gernon. Having been a cop, I witnessed a lot of nasty stuff. The senseless murder of a 4 year old child exceeds anything I have ever experienced. I cannot imagine the excruciating pain little Cash suffered at the hands of the sick evil bastard that committed this crime.

Take care Folks

Best Always

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2021, 02:23:36 AM »
@Kiera
Hi Kiera,                14 June 2021

The scum that murdered little 4 year old Cash Gernon has been charged with capital murder and numerous other charges. I hope the General Population gets their hands on him; they hate people that harm children. If they do, he'll regret ever having been born.

Still here in Southlake Texas. Four of our cars are in Phoenix, we have the house. Dena had it cleaned and painted in and out. We've had it now for 4 months and I have yet to set foot in it.

The move is taking more time than I thought it would. Just too much stuff here to pack up and move. It's getting done, just not as rapidly as we'd like. Hoping to be there before July and hopefully before the assholes ruining our country complete the job. Hopefully, the assholes go into "Self Destruct Mode" sooner than later.

Haven't posted much due to spending most of my time with the relocation. So far several individuals want to buy this place so hopefully I get our stuff out of here soon so we can consummate a deal and I can be on my way HOME and be with DENA.

I think we posted that we sold the Hemi Daytona last October. The collector that bought her has been taking her to car shows.

Hope your transition is going well. Take care amiga.

Best Always

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org