Author Topic: Christine's Transition Adventures  (Read 11103 times)

Offline Kiera

• Airline Gentry . . duh! What gender am i?
    • Blogs: Second Type Forums
Re: Christine's Transition Adventures
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2020, 05:14:45 AM »
     Wow Christine! No A/C . . in Arizona? Grandma had a swamp-cooler atop the house . . with plenty of water feed coming from the Colorado River? Suppose downline Mexico might have taken exception to that! But she had a regular compressor type as well.

My central air has been switched off since 2013 when I first installed the solar. It also now has a bad start capacitor . . which is a simple $50 fix but being undersized from day 1 and inefficient, now 20 years old, I too rely only on window units as well.

My Outback Solar generates 3.6K of 120Volt only (no 240) so bought 2 of the biggest 120 window units available and with sunny day-time electric being next to FREE no complaints at all . . and cutting down intervening pine-trees close to the house has been a big hobby with me as well.

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
  • I'm "Friday" Mom's Bed Bud
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »
@Kiera
Hi Folks,                     06 July 2020

Well, things sometimes go the way we want, then there are times they take a turn in the opposite direction.

South wasn't in my play book; installed the new Double run capacitor, new Square D 50 Amp disconnect switch, checked the wiring and the impedance of the compressor windings. All seemed to be in order. Had a friend come over to throw the disconnect switch while I stood by the compressor.

Switch ON, compressor gave a couple shakes, fan ran and it seemed things were going well. When I had this A/C unit installed in 1997, I requested they install a "Burnout" filter on the low pressure side, a "Sight Glass" and a "Receiver/Dryer" both on the high pressure side.

As I stood there watching the compressor, feeling the Freon lines, looking at the sight glass, I knew things weren't going well. It didn't take long and the cutoff switch made the same noise it did the day prior, and everything came to a halt.

Win some, lose some. Turns out my original diagnosis back when it first cratered was correct; the compressor is history. Back to the drawing board. Talked to my A/C buddy, also a fellow pilot; he said he has a unit he can install that will get me over the hump and won't break the bank.

My goal is to be in Phoenix soon. Hopefully all the gears will mesh and We will be on our way.

I should know what the situation will be with the A/C by Wednesday.

Now it's supper time with Dena. See you all next report.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Worrying Never Makes It Better.
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2020, 11:32:06 AM »
Hi Folks,                   09 July 2020

My A/C friend's unit was too small for this house so I reverted to plan "B," the easiest temp and most cost effective remedy: Window A/C units. Bought 2, one for the pup's room and one for mine.

The pup's A/C will be installed today and is the larger of the two; they come first and get the best as they deserve it.

Just finished my weekly Fosamax timeout (60 min), which is 30 min longer than the minimum required, trying to stay on the safe side. I always dread this day as I cannot eat anything or take any other meds before taking it nor during the timeout period; I must remain vertical during that time. Just glad my prescription is "Once Weekly;" everyday, as is the case for some, would be a bummer.

Now it's time for breakfast, then start the removal of the old unit and installation of the new. I think the pups will be happy once it's in and cooling their room. Hopefully it'll be complete and cooling today.

Take care folks.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Maddie

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »
Your pups have a good mom
Head up moving forward

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
Your pups have a good mom

Hello @Maddie,                         09 July 2020

Thank you very much for the lovely comment. I try to treat them like I think they would treat me were our rolls reversed. We need to remember that one day to them is like 7 days to us. Their time here with us is very limited compared to ours.

If they suffer an injury for a week, it would be like us suffering seven weeks. That's why I keep a close watch on them to make sure they are fine and have all their needs taken care of.

I'm ticked at myself as I didn't get the A/C installed today. I didn't even get the old one uninstalled. I did such a good job of installing it, I was having a difficult time removing it.

I also couldn't find all the tools I needed so rather than spend any more time looking for them, I'll go to Home DePot early in the AM and buy more. Fortunately, what I need is relatively inexpensive.

Hopefully they will be basking in cool temperatures tomorrow. Haven't even started mine and won't until theirs is working better than the original I put it in three years ago.

Hope this gets done tomorrow.

Take care Maddie.

Best Always, Love

Christine

PS:   10 July 2020

I couldn't post this yesterday due to the host system being down for maintenance. Since I didn't know it was going to happen I didn't warn everyone and hope no one lost a post. I did and only have a portion of what I wrote, which I had saved prior to the system going into maintenance mode.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:45:01 PM by Christine »
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
Hi Folks,                   10 July 2020

The pups' room now has A/C; they are in it having their supper in a much cooler environment than they had earlier today. I might even go in there to watch a movie .... if they invite me. They have the big screen and DVD players; all I have is a radio that looks nice but doesn't work.

Still have some finishing work to do, which I'll do tomorrow. They'll get to sleep in cool comfort tonight. It'll be a couple days before I get mine installed. My bed buddy (My Avatar) probably won't want to sleep with me tonight and I can't say that I will hold it against him .... if he so chooses. I wouldn't sleep with me either if I had a choice.

The reason I had difficulty removing the old unit was because I designed the installation like a Chinese Puzzle, parts had to be removed in the correct order, none of which was intuitive.

It's up and running, hopefully the pups are COOL HAPPY Campers.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2020, 03:21:11 AM »
Hi Folks,                    11 July 2020

Last night the pups had a test to see how they like their new A/C. To save time, space and ink (ink??), I'm going to make this short. After I fed them in their bedroom, I left them there for a good while with their A/C on. When I got done doing my chores I took them out to do their duty. We do this individually, one at a time. When we got done I let the last one in the house. As I walked in the den and looked down the hall, all three were standing at their bedroom door waiting for me to let them in. That was a great "Thank You" from my pups, which I'll always cherish and remember.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
Re: Christine's Transition Adventures - Odd's and End's
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »
Hi Folks,                    14  July 2020

This Post is as the "Modified Subject" states.

The pups are enjoying Air-conditioned bliss; have the new unit installed and weather tight. It is keeping their room at 80 degrees while outside temps are getting close to 100+; supposed to hit and possibly exceed the triple digit number today. The good thing is the new unit is doing a great job of reducing the humidity, so good I am going to swap the unit I bought for me for one exactly like the one the pups have.

Saw something yesterday that I found interesting, amusing and delightful. I was walking Ella when she spotted something in the road that piqued her interest. She loves to eat Cicadas, those noisy (at night) little Real Bugs that spend 13 or 17 years living underground before emerging to molt, mate and lay eggs.

It was a Cicada so I kept her back and watched the little creature. My thought was this bug had just recently molted and was getting ready for its first flight. Usually, the Cicadas I see seem to jump into the air and flit all over the place. This one did something I never expected; it started running across the street quite rapidly, put its wings out and took off like a small plane heading down the runway in take-off mode. It lifted off and climbed out just like I used to do when I was flying. It was a sight and delight to behold.

Never have  my camera when I need it, kind of like the time I witnessed "Ball Lightning," something only 3% of the earth's population have ever witnessed. I have seen and experienced many interesting events in my time, none of which came from "Magic Mushrooms" or the likes thereof. Never used the stuff, just arrested folks for using/dispensing/possessing it.

About time to head to "Home DePot" to swap the 5K BTU A/C unit for a 6K; 1K of additional cooling can't hurt .... except, maybe, in my purse.

Until next Bat Time, same Bat Site ....... Take Care mis Amigas y Amigos. (I know, it's purposefully grammatically incorrect)

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Maddie

« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2020, 12:01:28 AM »
Cicadas are amazing looking!

I've done magic mushrooms.   Not lately. 
While more intense, they give me a sensation similiar to some of the warm feelings I've experienced with estradiol.

Buenas noches amiga
Head up moving forward

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2020, 07:58:04 PM »
Cicadas are amazing looking!

I've done magic mushrooms.   Not lately. 
While more intense, they give me a sensation similiar to some of the warm feelings I've experienced with estradiol.

Buenas noches amiga

Hi @Maddie, Folks,                  15 July 2020

The Cicadas are quite interesting bugs; I never purposely harm them and help them when I find one that has landed in the inverted position. They seem to have a predisposition for doing so. They are safe to pick up and won't bite you; they can't because they don't have mouths'. Some humans should be so fortunate.

Friday likes his Air-Conditioned room but still wants to sleep with his mom. Guess I'll get the unit installed in his and my bedroom this weekend. Come to "Thunk" of it, we have a large freezer in our bedroom that does generate a fair amount of heat. The Freezer won't have to work so hard once the A/C is running and transferring the heat to the world outside.

This "Cornball" virus has become a real pain in the bum. I have a theory about its escaping China; ask yourself What type of Government is running China? It's a Tyrannical Communist Government, which is what all communist governments are. The virus escaped the tyranny.

16 July 2020 - Started this post yesterday and ran into a time warp; had other issues to deal with so it was saved for today.

Post Continued:

I'll stick with that reason until I hear of a better one; like the Chinese did it on purpose to damage the populations of the western world. Hmmm, this last one makes more sense.

Tomorrow will be A/C day for Friday's and my bedroom. It was over 100 today; I really don't mind it but I don't like for the pups to have to endure the high temps just because I'm a cheapskate. Their A/C is working very well. I try not to go in their room for fear I won't want to leave.

Did get a multiday project completed today. I had some stuff here that I bought years ago that someone wants. We discussed a price and agreed to it so I packed it up and have it ready to ship to him tomorrow. He has arranged for its pick up and transport so all I have to do now is wait for the shipping company to pick it up tomorrow and deliver it next week.

Tomorrow will be A/C day for sure, did make it to Home DePot just in time as they close at 2000 hrs CDT. Got my stuff and will get started on the A/C before it gets too warm. Hope this one works as well as the pups unit; it should, it's the same brand and model.

That's it for today, take care all.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2020, 12:27:57 AM »
Hi Folks,                       20 July 2020

Just a quick one. Did get the stuff packed up and ready for Pick Up. It was picked it up late Friday afternoon; they had it close to its delivery point Saturday. Scheduled for delivery Tuesday 21 July 20; my guess is it'll be delivered tomorrow.

The stuff was in its original boxes, which gave it additional protection as it fit perfectly in the boxes the buyer sent. I added additional padding and added my personal touch which is gluing the flaps on the boxes before I tape them with packing tape. I haven't had good luck with just tape, especially when the contents are relatively heavy and are solid.

When I saw how the driver handled the boxes, I was glad I added the extra padding and the glue. I use Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue. You would be surprised how much stronger the boxes are when done this way, after all, cardboard is made from wood pulp; they are also a bit more difficult to open, a small price for the added security.

Still working on the A/C. Did manage to get the old one removed Sunday. Started on it Saturday and found this one is going to be a bit more difficult than the one in the pups room. I'm seriously considering moving back in with them. I know Friday wants to sleep with his mom; he even goes in my room and hides after coming in from a walk. He is a loyal buddy and loves his mom and she loves him and the other two as well.

Hope to have the A/C unit installed today; have to construct a custom mount for the window so we won't have air leakage or unwelcome guests visiting, i.e. bugs.

Will let you know how it all goes. Take care you-all.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »
Hi Folks,                  21 July 2020

Quickie update: The shipment was delivered the day after yesterday and the day before tomorrow @ 12:51 PM CDT.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline MaryT

« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »

I'll stick with that reason until I hear of a better one; like the Chinese did it on purpose to damage the populations of the western world. Hmmm, this last one makes more sense.

I have to agree.  If a pandemic started near, e.g., Britain's Porton Down facility, nobody would believe that it was a coincidence, so it is strange that scientists were so quick to insist that it was just a coincifence that the Covid-19 pandemic started in the only city in the world where they were seriously studying how coronaviruses pass from bats to people.  So what if it wasn't genetically engineered?  Labs such as those at Porton Down were doing research into biological warfare decades before the structure of DNA was even discovered.

The only reason that I once thought that China's "wildlife market" explanation might be true was that in my opinion, it made China even more culpable, as it implied that the pandemic started because of China's blatant disregard of international laws and agreements about the illegal trade in wildlife products.

Whether or not China did any of it deliberately, they are the country least harmed by the pandemic, and have even benefitted from it.  It looks as though the country with the largest population in the world, and where the pandemic started, will have the lowest death toll in the world.  Also, their economy is already back in growth while the rest of the world has to choose either to work and get infected or not work and starve.

The western world is starting to push back against China and I think that war may be inevitable, although analysts seem to think that the West will lose unless the US has something up its sleeve.  I think that the USA will not contemplate losing, and would use nuclear weapons if all else failed.  I was planning to keep my home well stocked for such emergencies but the landlord has told me he is going to sell the house, so I'll have to get rid of stuff, not accumulate it.  Ah well.

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
I have to agree.  If a pandemic started near, e.g., Britain's Porton Down facility, nobody would believe that it was a coincidence, so it is strange that scientists were so quick to insist that it was just a [coincidence] that the Covid-19 pandemic started in the only city in the world where they were seriously studying how coronaviruses pass from bats to people.  So what if it wasn't genetically engineered?  Labs such as those at Porton Down were doing research into biological warfare decades before the structure of DNA was even discovered.
The western world is starting to push back against China and I think that war may be inevitable, although analysts seem to think that the West will lose unless the US has something up its sleeve.  I think that the USA will not contemplate losing, and would use nuclear weapons if all else failed.  I was planning to keep my home well stocked for such emergencies but the landlord has told me he is going to sell the house, so I'll have to get rid of stuff, not accumulate it.  Ah well.

Hi @MaryT,                   22 July 2020

Thanks for your post; yes, it seems, to the left at least, China and other commie countries can do no wrong and the US can't do anything right. I think they have their heads where the sun doesn't shine and it smells like Poop.

I wish there was a way to see how the world would be and look had the US never existed. This country and England have done more to advance freedom in the world than any other country. Yes, there have been others, but the main contributors have been the US and England. Some will say France, who did help the US during our founding. I think the US overpaid that debt during WW I & WW II. Had it not been for our two countries, Freedom wouldn't exist, we'd all be speaking German and/or Japanese; scary thought.

Don't know how all this is going to shake out. One thing that amazes me is how the "Peace and Freedom Loving Left" can be so violent, destructive and hateful; Peace and Freedom Loving my Ass!! All I can say is the left should be thankful I'm not running the show.

Hope you don't have to find a "New Place to Dwell." Moving is a pain though it does afford one the opportunity to "Down Size," which is something I should have already done; I'm just 10 years late to the party.  I have heard 70 is a good age to start. I will succeed, failure is not an option.

Guess I better get busy and finish my A/C project. HOPEFULLY, it will be done today.

Take Care Mary; wishing you the very best.

God Bless You, Your Family, Loved Ones and Friends.

Best Always, Love

Christine
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:56:17 PM by Christine »
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Maddie

« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »
Hi Christine

This place is quiet this week!

Hope you are crispy cool about now

Head up moving forward

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2020, 01:02:07 AM »
Hi Christine

This place is quiet this week!

Hope you are crispy cool about now

Thanks Maddie,                       25 July 2020

You picked a good day to post; finally have the A/C installed and working. It's a custom install requiring quite a bit of fabrication. That's all done and installed. I will take it apart later today and paint all the pieces and then re-install them permanently, or as permanent as whomever ends up owning this place desires once I'm on my way to Phoenix.

Again, it's a Chinese puzzle installation. Just looking at it one would wonder how it went together. Kind of fun but time consuming to make. The other issue I have is I am very Anal about things I do. I usually won't settle for anything but perfection.

An A/C guy is coming to install a new unit for a friend. I told her to tell the guy I want to talk to him about possibly replacing my HVAC Compressor/Condensing unit. I don't want to get into a large expense because I'll never recover the money when I sell this place. The building isn't worth fixing so I'm selling it as a building site.

If he doesn't have anything for me I'll see if he want's to buy the R-22 I have from when I worked on A/C units. The stuff I have is 30 + years old. It's in it's original factory container so It's worth something. Did check the prices, they are all over the place; spot market prices prevail.

Hope all is going well for you Maddie. Stay away from Portland, Seattle , Saint Paul, Chicago, Atlanta, Saint Louis, Houston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cleveland, NYC, LA, San Fran, Oakland, Detroit, Washington, or any other trouble spot. Not worth getting close to the rioting nutcases. They should be glad I'm not running the show.

I did manage to see a video that had Portland's mayor Ted Wheeler being escorted through the protestors who were jeering him. It was his first outing in 50 days. He appeared scared shitless and couldn't wait to get inside the building they were headed for. In my book he is a big coward and a loser; just the kind of person you want running things when the Chips are down.

Portland has a Mayoral Election this year. It'll be interesting to see if the majority of the residents of Portland are dumb enough to reelect him. Hope they don't but, it is the Left Coast.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline karen_A

« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2020, 03:34:06 PM »
      I suspect Karen and I probably share a lot in common while the desire to full transition may be "a choice" being trans and having to deal with life's many other issues is DEFINITELY NOT . .

Not sure what you mean by that...

The desire to transition was not a choice... the act of transition (or any act) is... Of course doing it does not absolve one of responsibilities assumed before doing it... which is what I think you mean.

But I have fully transitioned as I define it.  Besides the surgeries, I changed all my legal paperwork (including birth certificate) many years ago, and have been working and living as Karen 24X7 for over 2 decades. I tell no one i transitioned and don't talk about it with the people who do know.

-Karen

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
Not sure what you mean by that...

The desire to transition was not a choice... the act of transition (or any act) is... Of course doing it does not absolve one of responsibilities assumed before doing it... which is what I think you mean.

But I have fully transitioned as I define it.  Besides the surgeries, I changed all my legal paperwork (including birth certificate) many years ago, and have been working and living as Karen 24X7 for over 2 decades. I tell no one i transitioned and don't talk about it with the people who do know.

-Karen

Hi @karen_A,                 27 July 2020

I believe you nailed it 100%. You are your own person; you may define yourself anyway you wish, or not at all. You don't owe anyone any explanation other than those who you choose. Also, no one should criticize someone for the choices they have made.

Take Care Karen.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline karen_A

« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2020, 07:41:38 PM »
I believe you nailed it 100%. You are your own person; you may define yourself anyway you wish, or not at all. You don't owe anyone any explanation other than those who you choose. Also, no one should criticize someone for the choices they have made.

Thanks.

-Karen

Offline Complete

« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2020, 06:23:23 PM »
"Different strokes for different folks"
Works for me. :)