Author Topic: Christine's Transition Adventures  (Read 5941 times)

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
  • I'm "Friday" Mom's Bed Bud
Re: Christine's Transition Adventures
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2020, 08:18:07 PM »
Hi Folks,                   16 September 2020

Didn't get much done with the tree today; Friday, my bed buddy needed to visit his Doctor. His inoculations were out of date, he has an allergy that causes him to scratch himself to shreds, and his anal glands needed to be expressed (a nasty job I leave for the vet).

Got all that taken care of. After we were finished I dropped him off at the Texas State Employment Commission so he could get a job to pay his medical bill. $303.65 was quite a surprise. Fortunately, he has his own Credit Card.

He spent about 45 minutes and had a job that paid him $303.66. Got his money, had the boss call me so I could pick him and his pay up and take him home. Worked out well; he had $0.01 left over to put in his piggy bank; he's saving to buy a new car.

Did stop by to water the tree. Noticed the mowers had been there; they mowed all around the tree and even used the weed whacker inside the wooden stakes up to the Tree's Trunk Guard; they did a nice job. We watered the tree and will do it a couple more times tomorrow. Need the ground soft enough to install the barrier.

Friday is feeling much better than he did before his Vet visit. He knows when he needs to see a doctor and will go out to the car and stand there waiting for me to open the door to let him in so I can take him to his Vet. He's the only Dog I have ever had that is happy to go see the vet. He knows he will feel better afterwards. I think he's more human than I am.

That's about it for today. Back again tomorrow .... weather permitting.

Best Always, Love

Friday and Christine
Worrying Never Makes It Better.
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2020, 11:37:42 AM »
Hi Folks,                 22 September 2020

Weather has been, shall I say, a bit "out of sorts" for a couple days. The rain is welcome as it has been very dry. Ella, the Post Oak, is looking much better what with the cooler temps, rain and supplemental H2O. She has struggled to achieve what she has achieved over the past 4+ years; have no way of knowing how long she languished under the rubble pile before being freed.

Looking at her growth this year shows she has developed a good root structure that supported a great growth this season. If everything goes well the remainder of this year, she will be in a good position to put on a couple feet of growth, possibly more, next spring and summer; hope I am in Phoenix long before then.

We will come back to visit her occasionally. I hope to see her reach 20 feet in height in another 6 years. She could make it to 100 feet in height and have a trunk 4.5 feet in diameter if all goes well. I won't be around to see her then, but hopefully watching over her from above.

Take Care Folks.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2020, 01:34:56 AM »
Hi Folks,                   28 September 2020

Just maybe Ella the Post Oak will have her barrier erected later today. The panels are done and ready to be installed. The east and west facing panels have reflective tape on them so they will show up at night and during the day.

As soon as it's finished, photos will be taken and displayed here.

Temperature here has dropped to 67; fall is here and winter is on the way. My guess is it is going to be a cold one. Hope you all have warm clothing. Guess I better get my thermals out. One thing I have is fleece lined jeans. They are quite comfortable on cold and windy days. Won't leave the house without them in the fall and winter.

Hopefully the barrier will be up and functional today.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
Hi Folks,                 02 October 2020

Yesterday being the first of the month, the pups had their monthly heart worm preventative, an absolute must these days. Heartworms, a mosquito borne parasite, are everywhere there are mosquitos. Do your pooch a favor, have her or him tested and put on the preventative. A whole lot better for the pooch than them developing a heartworm infestation and having to undergo the treatment. The preventive is relatively inexpensive compared to the treatment. Without testing and preventative medication for your pooch, by the time you notice symptoms, it will probably be too late to treat them. I speak from whence I came; it was not pleasant to watch, especially knowing the ultimate outcome.

When I adopted Ella, she was already infested with heartworms. Her treatment took 6 months and $8,000.00. The preventative is about $150.00 per year. The treatment is tough on the pooch, some do not survive it. Our pups provide us with unconditional love and affection. Please take care of them.

Ella the Tree

Long story short, I decided to do a test install of the new tree barrier in the back yard. This required me to create 8 holes in the ground. I bought an auger that was for planting bulbs (Tulips come to mind). I managed to drill one and a half holes and the auger was history. It was made for use in a garden with nice soil. My yard is composed of rocks, clay and other minerals.

Back to the drawing board, bit of redesign and modification. I think I have the solution and should know in a couple of days. Ella the Post Oak is safe and is being cared for.

Her first couple of years were rather tough; all things considered, she is actually doing very well with the additional hydration and nutrition that has been supplied.

Next year she should add 2 - 3 feet in height and her trunk should increase its diameter by about 1/2 inch. Of course this will be affected by the weather and the care she receives during the ensuing years. Our plan is to be home in Phoenix soon so we will have to find someone here to look after her once we leave. We will return for visits on a regular basis. How often? Depends on if this country remains a Free Country or  becomes a Communist/Marxist Country.

Best Always, Love

Christine

Below is a photo of Ella our pooch.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:51:00 PM by Christine »
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2020, 01:52:12 AM »
Hi Folks,                     09 November 2020

Sold the Daytona, prepping for the move back home to Phoenix. Took awhile to find the right buyer. We wanted someone who would take care of her and not flip her. We found the right person.

Hope to be in AZ by end of week one of December. This moving thing is a big deal; lots of stuff to box up and load on a truck. Also have cars to ship and three kids to get ready for the trip. We'll make it. Had it with Texas, been here 42 years, that's more than enough. If you like places where the weather changes on no notice, this is your ideal place.

Take care folks. We will be more active on the site once the move has been completed.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Margrit

« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
Hi Christine

Well, that sounds busy to me.
-good house move-

Best wishes
Margrit