Author Topic: 2021 January 18, Why Eric Weinstein Is Finally Talking to Glenn Beck  (Read 83 times)

Offline Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
One of the reason tend to follow Glen Beck is because he is willing to have conversation outside of the echo chamber. In my work with software, I learned a long time ago the only way to find some software bugs was to think out of the box. It's true in day to day life and politics. For at least 15 years, I have looked at both sides of politics and played them against each other in my mind.

Glen Beck made a pod cast with Eric Weinstein who has always voted Democrat. I found that I can agree with much of what he said though if I were to meet him in person, I would like to suggest an alternative to his view of 1970-1980. My opinion is the reason research took a drop because of the great society and the Vietnam war. Before that time, nearly every company had a Research and Development lab to produce better products. I feel that because in increased taxation, R&D departments were shut down and the research that took place was mostly at the government or school level. It couldn't match what was taking place at the private level so we stopped advancing at the previous rate.

I think if you have an open mind, you will find this pod cast enlighten and you will also find it's possible for both sides to talk with each other, expressing their views without an argument. You can either download it as a pod cast or view it on Youtube at Why Eric Weinstein Is Finally Talking to Glenn Beck | The Glenn Beck Podcast | Ep 93. The run time is an hour 28 minutes. I hope you enjoy it.
Email contact through dena@transhaven.org

Offline karen_A

Re: 2021 January 18, Why Eric Weinstein Is Finally Talking to Glenn Beck
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
My opinion is the reason research took a drop because of the great society and the Vietnam war. Before that time, nearly every company had a Research and Development lab to produce better products. I feel that because in increased taxation, R&D departments were shut down and the research that took place was mostly at the government or school level. It couldn't match what was taking place at the private level so we stopped advancing at the previous rate.

As someone who has spent their whole career in R&D and is now close to retirement, from the inside it looked like it had more to do with R&D getting more expensive as much of the low hanging fruit had been picked, meaning lots of project failures and/or long development times. That  combined with the emphasis on short term profitability si what happened IMO.

In terms of the lack of R&D jobs, more recently that was due to outsourcing much of what R&D the is both on shore and offshore to CROs (Contract Research Organizations)

And yes industry "collaborating" with academia, that has dirt cheap highly educated, though poorly paid  labor in graduate students and post-docs, as well as the government supported basic research.

Companies take every opportunity to be as profitable as possible and the bean counters recognized these things were a LOT cheaper than in-house R&D, regardless of taxes, and thus give (at least in the short term) the biggest ROI.

-Karen