Author Topic: 2021 March 14, Biden's first prime time speech  (Read 173 times)

Offline Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
2021 March 14, Biden's first prime time speech
« on: March 14, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
Biden gave his his first prime-time presidential address and it was positively depressing. We are told that Biden worked for a week refining the speech he gave on national T.V. on the 12th. I think that with his ability to hire the best political writers in the business, he needs to fire the ones he has and start all over. His speech reminds me of the words "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" in Dante's Divine Comedy but at least you could indulge in one of the 8 sins of Lust, Gluttony ,Greed ,Wrath ,Heresy ,Violence ,Fraud and Treachery before you had to find your proper place in hell.

The truth is I wear a mask about 2 hours a week when I am shopping in order to prevent me from unknowingly infecting another person. I don't expect the mask to protect me from others. I work in the family business where we provide rental property for the trucking business. Our clients are independent truckers and provide services for the trucking industry. I work with my mother and we are both careful because we figure if one of us is infected, the other will become infected. My mother is about 6 weeks after her first Covid injection and I received my first one this week. Social distancing and knowing the people your around has managed to keep us safe so far. Unlike Biden who can run a political campaign from his basement, many of us need to work to keep the economy running so you have food on the table and the other items you purchase to make your life comfortable.

Biden fears the virus even though he was one of the first to receive the vaccine. We received it because of our age though it was difficult in Arizona. Biden changed the allocation of vaccine to the ratios reflected in the census. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but during the winter, Arizona's population swells. Many people spend a few months in the winter here to escape the cold weather. They either own two homes, stay with relatives or in hotels. Most are old enough to be included in the first round of vaccines so I had a difficult time booking a vaccine for either of us. Add to that the large medical community in our advanced medical system designed to cater to the older population and far too much of the population that needs the vaccine finds it difficult to get. I don't object to first responders receiving the vaccine first and I agree that older people need to receive it before younger people. We just need our fair share instead of lowering the ages in other states because they have an excess.

Still we have managed to keeps beds open for those with Covid that need them and the future looks bright. Our numbers are dropping and people are getting vaccines as fast as they can be delivered. I think there is a good chance of getting Covid under control by Memorial day but there is one thing that might prevent it. We are a boarder state and we are getting flooded with illegal immigrants. The boarder patrol is unable to handle the volume so they just let them go. Our population is generous and we keep many charities well funded in normal times but the flood of people is taxing our charity system. These immigrants are carrying Covid and the only testing they are getting is through our charities who are not receiving government funding. If they have Covid, they might take a bus cross country infecting people along the way making Covid more difficult to control.

The Nation Review did several opinions on Biden's speech but one you might want to look at is Biden's message is devoid of hope. Glen Beck took a little different view of the speech on his radio program. He points out that the people give the government its powers and the we never gave the government the power to restrict how we live our life. This sound a good deal like cold war Russia where you had to have papers that could be checked at any time to ensure you weren't where you shouldn't be. Remember that the constitution is ONLY the power that we gave the government and if it's not in the constitution, the government doesn't have that power over the people.

Not include in the link is what Glen said after that. He has a 1000 acre ranch (very small by western standards) and he was talking about doing what he did last 4th of July. He wants to throw a large barbecue at the ranch. That might not be a bad idea. Trump was turning out massive crowds and there is no indication that outbreaks followed his speeches. Figuring about 30% of the population has already had Covid and we should have over 40% with vaccines, that will probably be near herd immunity. It would be a good way to show that government is a servant of the people and not the other way around.

And then there is Mark Levin with his point of view on Fox news. You will find those links here and here.

What could Biden do differently in his speech? Instead of confining  Winston Churchill's bust to a place away from the oval office, he could use Churchill as an example. At the time that England was facing total destruction, Churchill made three speeches that inspired England to fight on until the United States was able to help push the Germans back. Biden needed to acknowledge the progress we have made, what Trump has done to put the tools in place and to trust the people to do what needs to be done in this battle. Don't paint a picture of failure but paint one where this will soon be over.

Should you want to review them, Churchill's three speeches written by him and not an office of speech writers are here, here and here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 01:00:35 PM by Dena »
Email contact through dena@transhaven.org

Offline karen_A

Re: 2021 March 14, Biden's first prime time speech
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 04:51:48 PM »
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here" in Dante's Divine Comedy but at least you could indulge in one of the 8 sins of Lust, Gluttony ,Greed ,Wrath ,Heresy ,Violence ,Fraud and Treachery before you had to find your proper place in hell.

I came away with exactly the opposite impression... that the speech was hopeful, but realistic.

The biggest danger now would be be the rise of more infectious variants that the vaccine are a lot less effective against before we reach heard immunity... these types of virus tend to mutate easily... so the only way to stop more variants is getting the level of infection as low as possible, as soon as possible and keeping it there until heard immunity is reached. That is what the science says.

With the end potentially is in sight, easing up right now on restrictions could easily wind doing more long term harm to the economy if it results in a more infectious and vaccine resistant variant arising.

That is why states reopening as much as many are now (particularly restaurants and dropping mask mandates), really worries me.

-Karen

Offline Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
Re: 2021 March 14, Biden's first prime time speech
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 06:27:53 PM »
So far the real science indicates that the approach taken with this vaccine works well with the variants that we have seen so far. It may not be quite as effective but it is able to deal with them. The theory is that the virus has a limited range of mutations it can use to dodge the bodies immune system and they are pretty well exhausted. When you look at the numbers,  lock down states vs open states are pretty much the same. New York had a major lockdown and the cases went off the scale suggesting that lockdowns might have been worst than remaining open. My theory is the building air circulation spread one case throughout the building.

We still need to be somewhat careful. If you're sick, stay home until you know what your dealing with. Social distancing is still a good idea and if you think masks are a good idea, more power to you.

We currently have an Easter get together planed indoors. Three will have full vaccinations. Two are to young but one was able to get an extra vaccine and then there is me who will have just received my second dosage. We feel the risk is low and the last get together was a year ago Christmas. It's time to move out from under the cloud. It may be a little later for  some but that is a decision you will have to make.

Living in fear is a bad thing. I haven't in the last year feared getting the virus but still I was careful because having the virus means I might pass it on and kill somebody else. I don't want to take another life and that is important enough to me to get the vaccine and to use caution when I am around others. Biden is living in fear and when you do, it's difficult to make wise decisions because sometimes the best path involves risks. Example - do I drive into work today or stay home. If I drive I might get into a collision and die. if I stay home, I might lose my job. We make decisions like this every day but the bigger the decision, the bigger the risk and keeping the country locked down until it's absolutely safe may take years. We are already feeling the pressure. Kids are killing themselves because they have to stay locked in the house. Their education is lacking and the rest of us might become less careful if we don't see some freedom in sight. I think Biden will lose all credibility if he had any should he continue to push his message of fear. I think at least the conservative are brave enough to deal with the risk and decide wisely. I can't speak for the left because the noise from the far left masks the opinion of the more moderate left. Perhaps you have an opinion on that.
Email contact through dena@transhaven.org