Author Topic: Christine's Life Before Transition - 1940 - 2018  (Read 469 times)

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
  • I'm "Friday" Mom's Bed Bud
Christine's Life Before Transition - 1940 - 2018
« on: December 17, 2019, 09:01:02 PM »
Hi Folks,                    17 December 2019

This post was originally posted 17 December 2019 on the TransRefuge site.

08 May 2020 - First day TransHaven.org open to the public.

In April 2020, Dena and I started this site, TransHaven.org for you the members. Dena and I both are from two other transgender Websites: Susan's Place and TransRefuge.

We chose to build this site because we believe we can provide a more welcoming environment where the Members and their Opinions are Welcome and not subject to the whims of moderators and/or staff. We only ask that there be no bashing of each other. We all have opinions and ideas; we can respectfully agree to disagree if and when the need arises.

Dena and I are here to provide help for those needing help, to keep the lights burning, the WELCOME sign in the window lit and the Welcome mat out in front of our Door, which is always open. By the way, Dena and I are a couple, we are partners here and in real life; Dena, is the Love of My life.

Christine's Bio:

I am 79 years young, born in Ohio, Akron to be specific, reared in Cuyahoga Falls from 1946 until 1960 when my family moved to Munroe Falls. What's with all the Falls? There were man made water falls in both towns and Cuyahoga Falls had a couple natural falls and still has one man made falls awaiting demolition. Cuyahoga Falls took its name from the Cuyahoga River that flows through the middle of the town. Cuyahoga is believed to mean "Crooked River" from the Mohawk Indian name Cayagaga.

Cuyahoga Falls was a great place to grow up in back in the 40's through early 60's. What happened? Long story not for here. Short story, Greed and Government mismanagement. A number of people became quite wealthy and the Downtown disintegrated. If you know anything about "Urban Renewal" you will understand.

In January 1963 I joined the US NAVY as my way of avoiding the Draft, where you have little in the way of choices. In so doing I traded a 2 year US Army draft obligation for a 4 year US Navy volunteer commitment. At that time all males over 18.5 years of age, had a 6 year military obligation. When I was released from Active Duty, I still had two years remaining of my 6 year Naval Service obligation. Since I completed 4 years active duty, my last 2 years were as a "Ready Reservist" subject to recall at the discretion of the US Navy. I received my Honorable Discharge 23 January 1969; my 6 year Military obligation ended that day. I was still registered with the Draft Board and had a Draft Classification of 4A; in those days it kind of meant: "Woman and Children First."

When I left the Navy I was hired by General Instrument Corporation in Hicksville NY as an Engineer. After two months in Hicksville, my security clearance came through so off to Yokosuka, Japan and the US Naval Base where I was assigned back to my first ship, the USNS Michelson T-AGS 23, an Oceanographic Research vessel manned mostly by civilians, which I now was, and still am.

I arrived there 17 March 1967 and remained until mid April 1968. Returned to CONUS (Continental United States) and Ohio where I remained until 15 September 1969. I returned to General Instrument Corp as a Senior Engineer. I remained in Hicksville until mid November when my security clearance was reinstated. I then headed back to Yokosuka and the USNS Michelson for my third time aboard her 19 November 1969. This time I stayed until 22 June 1972. I will say I did enjoy going to sea, especially as a civilian; I was paid well for my services.

Went back to Ohio 22 June 1972. I didn't much care for the Akron area, the weather is not to my liking, average annual sunshine is about 67 days.

In November 1978 I started working in Texas; moved here officially 09 April 1979. Bought a house in Southlake and have been here off and on since. Now Phoenix Arizona is my real home. I lived in Mexico City for two years, and three months in  Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Yes, I have bounced around a good bit.

I was in Mexico City from 1990 to 1992, then spent two more years going back and forth, two weeks in Mexico City and two weeks home. Liked doing that as I wasn't away from my pups but a couple weeks each month.

Two years of that and it was time to do something else. Went freelancing for a couple years then picked up a contact in Boston in 1996. That lasted until 1997 then went to Singapore and KL Did more freelance consulting until 1998.

Next I subcontracted writing software for ANB-AMRO of the Netherlands; they owned several large banks in the US so I wrote software for them. In 1999 the company I was subcontracting with decided I was too expensive so they sent me a letter terminating my services. I called the bank I was doing the work for and let them know I had been terminated by company "O." They said they decided who worked on their project so they sent me a contract that started the first Sunday after my contract ended, which was a Friday. I was without a contract one day. It took company "O" six months to figure they no longer had a contract with ABN. They got greedy; what they didn't realize is that 100% of nothing is nothing.

I worked for ABN for 6 years. In all that time I spent two weeks working at the bank. After that I worked from my own office and didn't have to travel again. In 2004 I decided to look into a job in Law Enforcement. Checked with a couple Cops I knew. They said I needed to go to a police academy, pass the course and then pass the state exam.

Here I was, 64 and in good physical shape. Went to the academy and inquired about getting into the next class. I knew they were skeptical about my chances of making it through. They danced around the age issue by asking dumb questions, an example: "What about your health?" "It's going to be a tough 18 weeks, What about your physical abilities?" I told them if I had any concern about not making it I would not have applied.

About a month prior to the class starting, I received my acceptance letter. That made my day. Class started in early August 2004, a few weeks before my 64th birthday. Class was physically tough due to the extreme PT, which I was able to handle quite well. I was the oldest in the class, even older than the folks running it. The closest person to my age was 44, next 42 then the rest of the class was 40 years my junior. There were only three classmates that could out perform me physically, they were young men recently out of the service and 40 years younger.

During the first official day of class they had us running and doing strenuous physical activity. About 1/3 of the class were heaving their guts out and unable to complete the days exercises. The youngest recruit in the class was a 21 year old whose brother was already a police Officer.

The second day of class started out much the same as the previous day. At that time of year it was hot here in Texas, temps nearing 100 degrees. As the day progressed they decided we needed to run one of the courses they had on the academy grounds. When my turn came up I took off with the 21 year old behind me waiting for the word to start his run, I had already gone around the academy building before he started. After I came around the last turn I could see a commotion up near the first turn of the track. Long story short, the 21 year old man was dead from a heart attack.

The autopsy report found that his heart was of a normal size but the veins and arteries connected to it were too small. He had been treated for asthma all his life when in fact he was not asthmatic. From that day on, all academy sanctioned PT was canceled until further notice. Most academy students took advantage of the halt and rested. There was a small group of us that continued and went beyond the academy requirements.

About 6 weeks after the incident PT resumed. Talk about a sore bunch of muscles owned by the lazy ones. One of the things my age allowed me was the ability to have candid conversations with the academy staff. About 2 weeks before graduation I was talking with the Class Coordinator, a retired police officer 15 years my junior. While we were talking, I said the irony of ironies is the person you least expected to die did, and the person you expected to didn't. He said: "You're right."

I graduated, became a cop. Did that for a year then resigned to look after my father. He was 94 and in failing health. He needed 24 X 7 care so that's what I did until 07 October 2006, 4 days shy of my father's 95th birthday.

While I was in the academy class I decided to give up my consulting business and concentrate on becoming a good cop. I did and had a lot of fun. There were aspects that were heartbreaking. I did a lot of work with CPS (Child Protective Services); they would call me at all hours of the day or night to help them with a case; I went along as protection for the case worker and the children. In my short time there I was instrumental in 11 children being removed from their abusive and or drug abusing parents.

My father passed away in 2006 so I just retired. Spent time flying, and visiting friends. I always had a love for trees so in 2010 I decided to become an arborist. Looked around the net and found one of the best schools in the country, which happened to be in my home town of Akron, Ohio. I called and signed up for a class in July 2010. I was again the oldest student in the class; as it turned out, I was also the oldest that had ever attended their training. At the time, I was 70.

From 2010 I did tree work, pruning, wrecking them out and whatever else they needed. I did the climbing, rigging and sawing. The day after Thanksgiving, 23 Nov 2018, I had to give up tree work due to the Medication I am on for the DVT I developed that day.

I will be on Xarelto for the rest of my life; it's an anticoagulant which makes it difficult for my blood to clot, thus preventing further DVTs and other clots. If I were to injure myself via a nasty cut from a chainsaw, I could bleed to death before anyone could get to me with an antidote. There's also the chance that if they did arrive in time, they wouldn't have the antidote as it is extremely expensive. Just how expensive? How does $50,000.00 per treatment sound?

Sounds like the antidote will be hard to come by. Xarelto keeps me alive so I take precautions; no longer climb trees, use chainsaws or work on rooftops. I do miss the tree climbing.

In my main thread I have chronicled my transition so there's no point in reposting it here. Now you know me better than most as this is the first time I have written this extensive of a BIO and posted it on the net. I'll probably come back and add a few things I may have missed.

My real home is in Phoenix Arizona. I am here in Texas preparing to head home after selling what needs to be sold before returning.

Thanks for stopping in and hopefully joining this site and the wonderful group of members here; we are small, just starting out. Today, 08 May 2020 is our first day open to the public.

You the members are the most important element of this site; Dena and I, are here to facilitate the site and to help those needing help. We are open to suggestions and we will follow the same rules as all members.

Thank You for reading this post and visiting your site. Yes, it is your site, Dena and I are just the caretakers.

Best Always, Love

Christine
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:03:27 PM by Christine »
Worrying Never Makes It Better.
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Kiera

• Landed Airline Gentry . . Bags packed but where?
    • Blogs: Second Type Forums
Re: Christine's Life Before Transition - 1940 - 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 05:13:30 AM »
I am 79 years young, born in Ohio, Akron to be specific, reared in Cuyahoga Falls from 1946 until 1960 when my family moved . . .

Christine deliberately avoided posts to your blog, per request, but just wanted to say your writing is fantastic! Could resist no longer and, with the following fav immediately coming to mind, I now dedicate this to you! (delete if ya like!)

"From Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAYGz6Iwmc
'Christine' Ellen Hynde's (once?) Beautiful Hometown as well!

My family hails from the heartland mid-west as well - Champaign Ill and Davenport IA!

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 12:44:24 AM »
I am 79 years young, born in Ohio, Akron to be specific, reared in Cuyahoga Falls from 1946 until 1960 when my family moved . . .

Christine deliberately avoided posts to your blog, per request, but just wanted to say your writing is fantastic! Could resist no longer and, with the following fav immediately coming to mind, I now dedicate this to you! (delete if ya like!)

"From Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAYGz6Iwmc
'Christine' Ellen Hynde's (once?) Beautiful Hometown as well!

My family hails from the heartland mid-west as well - Champaign Ill and Davenport IA!

Hi Kiera,              19 December 2019

Thank you for the wonderful compliment and thank you for the great music, no chance of a delete, I really enjoyed it. I plan to leave it here for when I feel like listening to Christine and something from my home town.

As I sat here at my desk watching and listening, my pooch Friday jumped into my lap, rested his head on my arm and watched the video, He loves video and gets up here and talks to Dena during our Skype sessions.

Both Akron and Cuyahoga Falls suffered at the hands of greedy, corrupt politicians and investors. They turned both downtowns into ghost towns except for the occasional special event. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in both downtowns though mostly in the Falls as I lived just a few blocks away

Thanks again; wishing you and your loved ones a Blessed, Healthy Christmas and New Year.

Best Always, Love

Christine
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:16:44 AM by Christine »
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Margrit

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »
Hi Christine

Nice to meet you  :D
If a man can make you smile,
even if you don't want to,
then you love him.

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »
Hi Christine

Nice to meet you  :D

Hi Margrit,           20 December 2019

It is also my pleasure to meet you. I'm sure you will find this to be an exceptional site for those of us in the Trans community. Most of us probably came from the Brand X website over yonder.

Wishing you and your loved ones a Very Blessed, Healthy, Happy Christmas and New Year!!

Take Care.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline MaryT

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »
Hi, it's nice to learn more about you.  You've had an amazing and varied life.

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 01:21:19 AM »
Hi, it's nice to learn more about you.  You've had an amazing and varied life.

Hi MaryT,                 26 December 2019

Thank You Mary; it has been varied that's for sure. Not sure exactly why. I came from a family that was totally dysfunctional and both parents alcoholics. Made for a twisted life. Spent inordinate amounts of time in bars and other seedy places. Kind of gave me a distorted view of life in general. Socially, I had a very difficult time developing friendships except with people as screwed up as I was. We didn't know we were screwed up; we thought the rest of the world was and we were the good guys.

I was 47 years old when I finally learned why I had so many problems. It was 1987; there were five of us guys that grew up together and remained friends all our lives. In 1987 we decided to have what we called our 30th reunion. What it really was, was the first time all of us would be together at the same time and place in 30 years.

We all served in the military, two in the Navy, two in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. We had a blast; if you'd have seen us, you'd have thought we were prematurely gray teenagers.

The last day of the reunion we were sitting in the kitchen of one of us guys that lived in Ohio. We sat and talked about things that we had never discussed before. Long story short it turned out all of our parents were alcoholics. One of the guys was a BS, MS, PhD full Colonel in the Army. He said he didn't realize how screwed up he was until his wife had to call 911 on him. He sought help and got well. He sent me a book titled "Adult Children of Alcoholics." It was like reading my life story. By that time I had been through two marriages and had decided to not have any more emotional relationships. I managed to keep it that way for 35 years.

Once I was able to figure out why I was so screwed up I started to get along better with people and was able to have a decent social life. I wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I was better than I was, with a lot of rough edges for certain. In March of 2018 I decided to transition,

I had wanted to be a girl at about 5 and then when I matured some I wanted to be a woman. I had been wearing women's clothes in some fashion since I was 30 with the blessing of my first and second wives. About 8 years ago I was wearing 99% women's clothing and living as a woman. No one seemed to notice; at least they never said anything about the way I dressed. I didn't wear dresses or skirts, my legs are too beat up from all the stupid things I have done.

And then I met Dena. Thank You Dena, You Are The Love of My life.

Thank You Again MaryT Wishing You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy New Year!!!

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Hi @Christine,

I've really enjoyed reading your story so far. One thing I'd like to ask, and if you don't want to answer it that's perfectly fine, but do those four lifelong friends know about your transition? If so were they accepting?

I was just curious. Like I said if you don't want to answer that's completely fine...I'll figure out some way to get through my life I'm sure.

Lexxi

Hi Lexxi,               27 December 2019

They probably know now but they didn't when I started, they were dead. I'm the last one standing. I miss them, we were closer than most folks blood relatives.

I'm sure they would have been supportive; we were best friends and remained that way all our lives. We still are, just three are off in retirement. I'll be with them again; just want to make my time here last a good while longer. I have One Very Good Reason: DENA, She Is The Love of My Life.

After we went into the military, all in different years, 58, 61, 63, 66, it was difficult if not impossible for all to be together at the same time; we were scattered around different parts of the states and the world.

In 1987 and 1988 we had a reunion and all got together to resume our childhood. In 1989 the first one passed. The rest of us went to his funeral and were pallbearers. The next passed in 2003, then two passed in 2017 less than 2 months apart. I have one friend that wasn't a part of that group that has been a friend for 76 years, a friend I have had since I was 3 years old.

How did all that happen? Simple: Mutual Love, Loyalty, Understanding, Sharing, Forgiveness, Respect, Honor, and Trust, all the old fashioned things made it possible. It's still possible today, just a bit more rare.

Thanks for asking Lexxi.

Wishing you and everyone here a Very Blessed, Healthy, and Happy New Year!!!

Best Always, Love

Christine
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:55:10 AM by Christine »
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 01:00:44 PM »
Wow Christine, you have had an amazing life, and are an amazing person! I love it that you ignore your age and just do things! You are an inspiration. Have you ever considered writing your biography? You have had such an interesting life and not been limited by others expectations, it would be amazing reading and inspirational to many.

Thank you,

Allie

Hi Allie,                27 December 2019

Thank you for the wonderful comments. I think you overrate me.

I had a friend that was a respected author and journalist. He suggested something very similar, so I got to thinking and did start on one. In fact I found it in one of my old archives, which is where I located one of the stories I recently posted.

For me to write an Autobiography that was truthful, I would have to reveal my dark shady past. Not sure I want to do that just yet. Just joking. I don't think I am all that interesting and an Autobiography would consume way to much time. At my age time is a precious commodity; I have things I need to do to get where I want to be, which is to be with Dena. That's more important than most everything else in my life. On par with it is to stay healthy.

When I was a wayward "Yout" as Rush Limbaugh would say, I did visit the local police station occasionally, OK, quite often. I'd be sitting in class and an announcement would come over the PA system: "Chet Headley, report to the office immediately!" I'd stand up, look out into the parking lot; usually there were cop cars sitting there, which meant I was going to miss a bit of school and get to ride in the back seat.

I'd be gone for an hour or so, then they'd tell me to walk back to school. So, I would just go into their parking lot and hot wire one of their cars and drive myself back. By the time they noticed a car was missing school was out and I was home. There weren't any cameras in those days so there wasn't much they could do. I wouldn't recommend trying that these days.

OK, enough old history. Gotta go, I'm having lunch with Dena, the Love of My Life.

Thanks again Allie.

Wishing You and your family a Very Healthy and Happy New Year!!!

God Bless young lady.

Best Always, Love

Christine

PS: Darn, I let her drag one of my deep dark secrets into the open. I'm Ruined!
Christine@transhaven.org

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
Christine, I think you underrate your story and the world is missing out! I understand though, as I have been pestered to share my life story which has had a few adventures with witnessing kidnappings, getting in on the seedy side of government, unions and shipping companies, manipulating politicians to get a $10 million dollar project for my dive community, and, of course transitioning. If I told what I knew I would fear repercussions against my family from wharf unions, crooked politicians, and public servants. I also became a minor celebrity in my industry for taking on and completing jobs everybody else said were impossible, and I raised 2 amazing kids from 3 years old to adults on my own.

You celebrate every second you spend with Dena, as I do with my soon to be ex wife! Your life is yours to do with what you want, and it sounds like you have, I will just have to wait for your next instalment.

Hugs,

Allie

Hi Allie,                28 December 2019

I think you need to write yours, it would be much more interesting and "Informative;" of course you may have to be on the lookout for goons afterwards.

Take care Dear.

Best Always, Love

Christine
Christine@transhaven.org