Community Conversations > General Topics

Labels VS diagnoses.

(1/6) > >>

zirconia:
On Complete's Imprecise Language, Confusion and Conflation thread something Allie mentioned made me think.

A diagnosis is something that doctors use to name a medical condition. Its purpose is to determine appropriate treatment.

My current diagnosis is transsexualism. It is written out next to the diagnostic code F64.0 at the very top of my medical records. The designated treatment according to these same records is to surgically change my sex.

The doctors tell me that after surgery both my patient records and national insurance card will state I'm a female with severe gonadal failure—for which I will receive hormone replacement treatment for the rest of my life.

From there on the previous records will only be made available to the department that treated me and doctors to whom I myself choose to divulge the information. And thence I will no longer "officially" be transsexual.

Now, I'd of course be free to announce to the world that I'm "transgender" either before or after surgery. However the term has not to date appeared anywhere in my medical records. Thus, rather than being related to my diagnosis it would be a label that I myself would choose to carry voluntarily.

And where the records of the transsexuality diagnosis will be sealed after treatment, the label—should I choose to adopt it—would be permanent.

I've never once in my life asked anyone to call me or treat me as male or female. In my view that is not for me but the observer to decide. And to me asking would be akin to announcing that's not what I really am.

But I do like to be seen and treated as female by new acquaintances. It feels good. It feels even better when people whom I've known change their perception of me spontaneously.

Adopting the transgender label would thus to me seem only detrimental, since it would be proclaiming to everyone that I'm not simply what they themselves categorize me as.

So—why do people adopt it? What is the advantage?
Wouldn't it be better just be whatever others see us to be?

Don't all labels only serve to set us apart?

zirconia:
Katie,

Yes... the linguistic roots really do not matter, do they...

What does matter is that from what I've seen most people on the various forums actually seem to find the label transgender comfortable. And to see it as a significant part of their "identity." What they proclaim to the world and to each other.

And that is the part I can't comprehend.

If transition's purpose is to fix one's sex, whence does the desire to "identify" with something quite unrelated to that sex come from?

As for setting apart... it may be because of my different background, but to me identifying oneself to others as a transgender woman would not seem the same as simply being a woman. The two aren't actually seen as equivalent, are they?

Complete:
EVERYBODY uses transgender and CIS,so everybody should.
Yup. That makes sense 😲😲😲🙃
Again, not to be redundant, "everybody" who has a problem with their gender identifies as "transgender".  Sounds good to me.
So why does it follow that those of us who are perfectly okay ❤️ with our gender have to share that label with those who embrace it?

Complete:
[But for our medical treatment we will be categorised as trans, and that is appropriate as our treatments are specific to that category

There you go again with those fuzzy little words.
"our medical treatment"...?
Well, no. Yours had been, and will continue to be significantly different, as it is for that wide diversity of transgenders. You know the usual options, FFS, HRT, BAS, ORCHI, VFS, etc, etc.
Not to mention all that counseling.

FYI, I was never catagorized as ,"trans".

And...
"[appropriate as our treatments are specific to that category.
Which category is that? Is SRS "appropriate" for someone who just wants to look feminine?
Gosh maybe HRT or FFS might be more appropriate?
But no.
"...our medical treatment we will be categorised as trans, and that is appropriate as our treatments are specific to that category"

Complete:
Katie. I understand your confusion and concerns.
You have been unwittingly subjected to the unrelenting onslaught of trans mis-information and propaganda.
Sadly that is all there is out there.
You and people like Zirconia who find the standard trans talking points lacking, are why l make the rather distasteful, and for the most part, unwanted efforts to push back on all that noise.
People like you and most of the readers here are either considering or currently undergoing that PROCESS of transition.
That is why the term "trans" might be appropriate.
In truth, it would s up to you to decide when, whether, or if that process is completed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version