Author Topic: Private discussion areas on the site for Controversial Topics and other topics  (Read 749 times)

Online Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
We have a disagreement over what free speech is. To attempt to resolve this issue, we have created an area called Controversial Topics. Currently this area contains areas to discuss topics in politics and transgender medicine. Should it be needed, we will add areas for additional topics. You are free to explore most any topic you desire however personal attacks are not permitted and the staff will take action should one occur. As the staff works through the existing posts, some of them will be moved to this area.

Two additional areas have also been created for MTF and FTM surgical images. We would prefer that you discuss your surgery in the public areas and link to the images in the appropriate area. This will allow many to view your progress while still keeping your images out of public view.

These areas are private and will not be scanned by the spiders. These areas will only become visible to you by requesting membership from a staff member.

If your not ready to lose an argument or engage in a hard core argument, it's suggested that you don't join Controversial Topics as discussions may be more hardcore than in the public area.

Update Feb 5.2020
A change has been made to these feature. Controversial Topics is now user settable. Profile>modify profile>Group Membership will take you to this setting. Joining the group will give you immediate access to this section of the site. Should you decide your not comfortable with the discussion, you may also remove yourself from the group.

You will also find MTF and FTM surgical images as a selection. Clicking on these makes a request to become a part of the group subject to the approval of a staff member. We left the staff member in the group to ensure somebody didn't join the site just to view the images.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:17:41 PM by Dena »
Email contact through dena@transhaven.org

Online zirconia

A free speech zone, removed from the public? I feel that to be sad... but I guess that's the definition of free speech now...

Offline Complete

That is what totalitarian gov'ts do.
They limit free speech and segregate the "trouble makers".
They do this because in order to maintain control, they must control the narrative, ie: the accepted "truth"

Offline Kirsteneklund7

• Strength Through Vulnerability
 Hi Complete,
              is it possible to PM you with a question about transition as a teenager ?
As a child prayed to be a girl and now its happening, - 40 years later !

Offline Complete

Hi Complete,
              is it possible to PM you with a question about transition as a teenager ?
It is now. I've been in bureaucractic limbo as of late, but that", issue" has been resolved....for now

Online Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
Think of it as a decision between wanting to watch only CNN or Fox News. If you want to join the area, we will be glad to let you in. If you don't want to join, that's fine as well. We aren't preventing free speech but we are allowing you a choice.

I think of it like my sister. She doesn't want us to discuss politics around her. This means when we have a family function,  no politics when she is in the room. Most of the time it's easer just to avoid politics all together. This approach provides a way that people like my sister can avoid the topics they would prefer not to hear about.

Online zirconia

A secret society of deep and controversial thinkers
hidden away in their secluded, invisible hideaway,
pondering scary subjects unsuitable for consumption by the general public...?

(*⁰▿⁰*)

I think I do understand what the administrators wish to accomplish. However, the difference between a conversation within a room and one in a forum is that while voices enter our ears regardless of whether we want to hear them or not, written words don't enter our eyes unless we ourselves choose to read them.

If I were the one needing to find a solution to public outcry, I'd create tags that posters or administrators could use to clearly show the tread to be "At your own risk" or "Safe." That would allow every individual choose whether or not to read it. And possibly an account setting for users who wish to render themselves blind to anything other than safe space subjects. Otherwise—unless the restriction only applies to members—guests and such will always be shut out...

To someone like me to whom "hard core" items have turned out to be most helpful and stimulating this solution would be more desirable. The reason I think so is that I'm pretty sure that there must be at least a few other people in the world who feel like I do... and I hope the discussions might help them find their way instead of getting stuck in a quagmire like I did.

But then, maybe I am the only one... which would make me feel very lonely... Or just weird and different.
At the very least the latter, I guess, because I've never felt comfortable or safe in any safe space... 

Edit: Clarity
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:24:10 PM by zirconia »

Offline Iztaccihuatl

What is the process for requesting membership to the controversial topics area from a staff member? Do I need to click on the "Report to Moderators" link?

Online Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
A change has been made to these feature. Controversial Topics is now user settable. Profile>modify profile>Group Membership will take you to this setting. Joining the group will give you immediate access to this section of the site. Should you decide your not comfortable with the discussion, you may also remove yourself from the group.

You will also find MTF and FTM surgical images as a selection. Clicking on these makes a request to become a part of the group subject to the approval of a staff member. We left the staff member in the group to ensure somebody didn't join the site just to view the images.

Offline Christine

• Dena's Assistant
  • Administrator
  • I'm "Friday" Mom's Buddy
Hello Folks,                    13 May 2020

Some of the posts in this thread were from the Refuge site and did not apply to your new site TransHaven.org, so they have been removed.

As Dena has stated, you decide if you want into this area. The way it's set up, members make the choice to be in or out; no staff permission required. This keeps guests and spiders out.

The only requirement we have is: "No Bashing Each Other." If we (any of us) disagree with what someone says/said, we should explain what and why we disagree.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me and if you don't, go ahead and tell me why. We are NOT going to do like they do on the other sites and warn or ban you. Dena and I have to follow the same rules and a few additional that are more restrictive than what you have to follow. We are not above the rules.

Heaven knows, I experienced more of that on the TransRefuge site than I ever did on Susan's; so much for TransRefuge's Free Speech policy: Free Speech Here
For Staff Only.

We hope you all enjoy your new site and will help it grow. We are  LBGTQI WXYZ, anything you want to be inclusive. If you don't see a topic area that fits you, Post, PM or email Dena or me. We will accommodate you.

Thank You all for being here at TransHaven.org and for reading this post; we hope it helps, and help is what Dena and I are about, helping each and every one of you.

Best Always, Love

Dena and Christine
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:34:01 AM by Christine »
Worrying Never Makes It Better.