Author Topic: U.K. healthcare workers will be able to refuse to treat homophobic patients  (Read 295 times)

Offline Iztaccihuatl

Well, here are at least some positive news, although from the other side of the big pond from my point of view:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/02/u-k-healthcare-workers-will-able-refuse-treat-homophobic-racist-patients/

It is refreshing to see how this is totally the opposite of recent trends here in the US.

Offline Iztaccihuatl

I don't view this as positive. People should not be denied care even if they are bigots. I don't know about the UK, but here in the States we passed the EMTALA act back in the 80s because people who couldn't afford care were being denied care or receiving substandard care. It was essentially denying care to poor uninsured people. Allowing this kind of bias in health care is not a good thing and is a step backward. Every person, no matter how bigoted, deserves the dignity of healthcare.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

In an ideal world I agree with you, everybody deserves the best health care irregardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, political and social views, etc. However, we do live in a country where it is legal for health care workers and even for hospitals and clinics to deny care to trans and homosexual patients citing "religious freedom". Until all those folks who insist on their "religious freedom" to discriminate against others feel for themselves how it is to be discriminated against, nothing will change. For that very reason I would consider this a positive development to get some discussion going, but not a step in the right direction (although a necessary one).